|Alter Ego||Simon Harvey|
|Location||Brisbane, Australia 27° 28' 8.28" S, 153° 1' 24.60" E|
|Outfit||Green Hood with Yellow Winglets|
|Colors||Green, White, Yellow|
|Symbol||An ampersat, @|
|Equipment||Utility belt, mace, Swiss army knife, first aid kit, army canteen, flashlight, iPhone with GPS & camera|
|Abilities||Affinity with animals, photographic memory|
Captain Australia is a Real Life Superhero operating out of Brisbane, Australia. Captain Australia is an RLSH who aims to be a crime fighter and an inspiration to others. His four primary goals, quoted from his personal website:
- To prevent crimes through acting as a deterrent by actively patrolling and thus intimidating the criminal element.
- To intervene when I see criminal activity, or to solve crimes that I become aware of.
- To inspire normal people to be better, by demonstrating a level of moral excellence that I hope will serve as an example to the people I meet.
- If all else fails, I can accept simply amusing or shocking people – having ordinary citizens lighten their hearts by amusement or surprise.
Captain Australia first started in 2009, and hit his peak in 2011, but has been seen little since 2014.
On September 30th, 2016, he commented on a Courier Mail article from July 2016:
Thank you for writing this kind article.
For those who are interested, I suspended everything in my life to focus on my middle son's welfare (he's doing quite great now), and really had no alternative but to pull back from what I see as the Great Quest (to try and find your own individual way to brighten & lighten the world).
As my boy has been getting so much better, I've always intended to resume the mantle of Captain Australia, however just recently I've had another knock - a diagnosis of Cancer.
So, I'm in for another fight, not Captain Australia versus The Nazi Zombies, or Captain Australia versus The Black Skull ... but Captain Australia versus The Big C, and it's a fight I'll win.
I am so pleased and proud to know that there are people who hear that simple message "do good", and lift that flag and carry it forward in the proud Australian tradition. Working together as one (diverse and colourful) tribe, maybe we can even influence other parts of the world to turn from hate and division and find ways to help the people around us grow, learn and improve.
Best of luck and thank you for your interest.
A more recent post on his Facebook fan page]:
Just a quick cancer update, as my big appointment was yesterday.
Unfortunately I didn't receive the "all clear" I was hoping for, but nor was it bad news. My scan was inconclusive. The PET scans can't see through damage and inflammation, and my head & neck region has suffered a profound insult and wasn't completely healed .. so unfortunately the scan couldnt definitively say there was no cancer remaining.
I have to re-scan in 2 months, hopefully with an "all clear" result. We did learn a couple of encouraging things from the scan though:
1) if cancer remains, it's gone from massive to tiny, which should significantly prolong my life (the original doctor gave me 6 months without intervention due to the advanced disease) 2) because it has reduced so much in size, a surgical option is unlocked .. so if in 2 months there still is cancer, there will be an option to excise it, and the doctor seemed optimistic about that. (Whereas before, if the radiation didn't work, I had no real options remaining)
So all in all, it's positive news, but not the outcome I was hoping for. I'll update you in a couple of months, in the meantime I'm just dealing with fighting through the continuing side effects.
Your friend Captain Australia
He has more recently commented on the CA fan page (which he does not have admin access to) as his civilian identity, saying he has beaten the cancer and has retired Captain Australia, for now.
In July of 2021, he made a post on Reddit stating his return and announcing a charity event he dubs "Captain Australia's Big Walk".
The Courier Mail: "What happened to... Captain Australia?" - RETRIEVED 3/15/2017
Captain Australia's Website - UNAVAILABLE 9/06/2017